Monday, July 21, 2014

More thoughts about - a New Day

Today - after my tirade yesterday about "who is responsible for the mess we are in" I am turning to Senator Kelly Ayotte, R-New Hampshire, as I just filled out the questionnaire on her web-site and I am hoping she might respond to my response to her thoughts on the future of our nation:

"My grandfather, a decorated World War II veteran, recently passed away at age 98.  He worked two jobs, provided for six kids and he never used credit cards.  The men and women of the "greatest generation" understood that you need to live within your means.  They also worked hard to leave the country better off than they found it.

With over $17.5 trillion in debt and tens of trillions more in unfunded liabilities, our nation's credit card is maxed out.  Republicans and Democrats, with Presidential leadership, need to finally reach the much talked about, but elusive, grand fiscal agreement that "would possibly" (excuse me, Senator, for altering -the language of your claim) put America on a strong financial footing and create a pro-growth economic climate..

First, "an" agreement must address the long-term drivers of the national debt - entitlement programs. Social Security and Medicare are headed for insolvency as early as 2033 and 2026, respectively.  If we don't up-date these programs to reflect the nation's changing demographics, they won't be there for the people who need them.

Second tax-code reform (..."here we go, again" SM)  The existing code is mired in favoritism and crony capitalism that does not drive economic growth.  The code should be made simpler and fairer, with rates reduced for individuals and businesses.  Otherwise, we will continue to see American companies relocate abroad, costing jobs in the U.S.

Tax reform should also allow U.S. businesses to bring back the trillions parked overseas because of our uncompetitive corporate tax rate - so they can invest here, creating jobs, while also adding money to the Treasury for priorities like paying down the debt.

The "greatest generation" had the courage to fight for America's freedom and prosperity.  It's time for our leaders today to honor that sacrifice and secure the futures of (our) generations to come."

Excellent essay, Senator Ayotte.  Excuse me, if you would want to believe I am on my feet and applauding your thoughts.  You and I both know, they are not original.  I have stated elsewhere that my knowledge and understanding came about after decades of review.  I voted for the people I trusted to be my elected Representatives and based on the evidence you and so many others have cited, I - and millions more like me, have been betrayed by the most onerous of all "con" games.  "A little here and a little there and the first thing you know, others will believe in what we are doing."

The game that your predecessors have been playing needs to be closed down, now!

We do not need your words, Senator.   We do need your action, NOW!  You need to initiate legislation that prevents the Congress from initiating even one more action that costs us one more penny.  For anything to be passed, there MUST BE a section that defines precisely where that money is coming from and it's source must be found in previous legislation that has proven to be worthless.

Furthermore, Congress needs to provide legislation that itemizes every Federal agency that exists today, that has as its source of income, the contribution of tax payer dollars.  The Congress and the President will specify those agencies - such as the Department of Defense, that require financing for operations that are beyond the scope of available resources.  All other agencies will be challenged to operate their activities on five percent less that current appropriations and this process will continue until the Federal budget has been balanced.

No "if, ands or buts" will be allowed in determining all appropriate legislation. 

I wasn't with your Grandfather, Senator, but I do know that if his unit was actually engaged in combat with enemy forces, I have it on good authority - my fellow veterans, that every such action was committed to a "do or die" agreement that this battle will be won.  It was not be discussed in committee, nor would it be subjected to interviews with the "press" to see if the results could be do-able.  To a man, they fought and many died.

I suggest that this be the creed of all of our elected Representatives.  They will be directly involved in "righting the Ship of State" or they will resign.  Again, no "ifs, or ands or buts."

We are where we are because many of our elected Representatives were not conscious of their commitments.  They did what they were told to do by their political affiliates - or else they would not receive funding for any attempts to be re-elected.  Let's just get honest with one another.

I understand their predicament.  Unfortunately, they are the ones that have been caught in the proverbial "hen" house and like the "foxes" in my day, they should no longer remain as a threat to the owners of those facilities.

Agreed?  Let me hear a resounding - "Amen, brother"

No comments:

Post a Comment